Thursday, January 14, 2010

Technology and Over Simplification

Technology is supposed to make our lives simpler. Indeed, it has contributed a lot towards that front, but there are times when it advances too far to make itself look stupid. Sometimes, rather many times, harmful (nuclear bombs, global warming, depleting ozone layer…).

However, lets leave the more serious discussions aside, and look at a scenario where technology fails in a rather stupid way.

It was just another run-of-the-mill day. I was web-browsing using my company’s resources in the office, and checking my mail intermittently. I happened to go through an email where a person was moving to a different location, and hence selling all the unnecessary stuff.

I browsed through his list just out of curiosity, and found a pencil sharpener. Interested, I looked more and found it to be a special electric sharpener worth $10! If a second-hand used sharpener was worth $10 (about 200 times the price of a “normal” sharpener found in India), how much would a brand new one would be worth?

Further interested, I typed amazon.com and looked up one such item. If I had been drinking water during that time, I can bet my life, I would have spilled off water in amusement.

$41.79 for a pencil sharpener?! Disgusting!

Even more surprising was that people actually liked this damn thing enough to write a review on it.

I had originally purchased a cheap electric pencil sharpener and was frustrated with its lack of performance. I finally "bit the bullet" and spent the big bucks for one that received excellent reviews. I couldn't believe a simple pencil sharpener could be worth that much money, but I am soooo happy with it that I don't begrudge the cost any longer. It sharpens quickly, perfectly every time. It doesn't stop when sharpening is completed, but you can hear the sound change and know it's done. I highly recommend this product and would definitely purchase it again. I can't believe I got so excited over how well a pencil sharpener works! Few things today seem to have superior performance, so our expectations and standards are lower. Not so with the Panasonic pencil sharpener; it's a great product.


It was eye opener. Manufacturing a pencil sharpener is rocket science as well! Nataraj still has a huge learning curve. Oh, how did I even survive my childhood with such outdated and mediocre technology?

41 comments:

  1. I am also an obsolete technology user.
    Its always humans to want more bhaiya..
    May be technology has increased that tendency.
    Write more bhaiya.
    Its a pleasure reading u..
    Cheers

    Nuts

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice Article :)

    The world is full of weirdo stuff..dont worry ;)

    and its all thanks to 'geeks' like u :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Amit: nah.. not thanks to us. 'We' are trying to make life simpler, without being weird :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Rajat, came here thru google search for kanda poha. I put up a link to your kanda poha post on my blog which being an Indori is also about the same. Check it out -- http://jayawagle.blogspot.com/2010/01/indori-kande-poha-and-battle-of-sexes.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Birthdays are good for you. The more you have, the longer you live.............................................

    ReplyDelete
  6. 過去的事早已消失,未來的事更渺不可知,只有現在是真實的..............................

    ReplyDelete
  7. 愛,拆開來是心和受兩個字。用心去接受對方的一切,用心去愛對方的所有。............................................................

    ReplyDelete
  8. 光這幾句話就價值連城了,讀著讀著小弟的眼眶就濕了... .................................................................

    ReplyDelete
  9. 在莫非定律中有項笨蛋定律:「一個組織中的笨蛋,恆大於等於三分之二。」......................................................................

    ReplyDelete
  10. 美麗的事物是永恆的快樂,它的可愛日有增加,不會消逝而去................................................

    ReplyDelete
  11. 與人相處不妨多用眼睛說話,多用嘴巴思考. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

    ReplyDelete